What's next: Multiplayer or Proper Combat and Enemies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan, May 27, 2017.

?

Where should we focus our efforts?

1. Limited PVE Multiplayer Experience

2. Advanced Combat System

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

I am very keen to hear what current players and potential players are the most excited for us to focus on next based on the following options. Some context as to where we are at currently is in order, which you can find in one of my replies on this thread: http://forums.playyore.com/index.php?threads/is-this-game-dead.358/

To paraphrase
    So with that in mind we can go about this in one of two ways
    • Start with a limited Multiplayer Experience (1-2 months)
      • Before we focus too much on the stuff that players can do together we get a multiplayer server up and running and ensure that the basics of a solid multiplayer experience are in place. There would be no PVP. This would be stuff like:
        • a server browser and master list server
        • Steam API integration
        • VOIP
        • Resource regeneration
        • Basic permission system to prevent other players from going into your chests or opening your doors. Eventually we would create a way to grant access but in this first release we would just block everyone but you from accessing your stuff.
        • 3rd Person Character representation (head, torso and arms to start)
        • Networking QA and optimization
        • A couple different types of melee enemies to fight: Bears and perhaps a humanoid or two.
        • Network movement.
    • Advanced Combat System(3-6 weeks)
      • Before we focus on the getting players playing together we want to take the combat system to the next level and build the foundation for PVP but also more engaging PVE. This would include things like:
        • Realistic weapon simulation. IE: A claymore would behave different than a dagger and also interact much differently with whatever it hits.
        • Shields
        • Armor
        • Bludgeoning weapons
        • Hit box damage modifiers. Getting hit in the head is going to hurt a lot more than getting hit in the leg. Likewise getting hit in the leg might affect your movement capabilities while hit in the head might affect your vision
        • More advanced AI and much varied enemies such as Melee and Ranged baddies, including bears, humanoids and some monsters
    So the question is do we want to lay the ground work for multiplayer first, putting off multiplayer for a month or two, or do we want to get players exploring together, building together, forging together and just hanging out and then after that start adding on layers to that experience?

Let your voices be heard and tell us what you think!

2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Content/combat first imo... (Fishing, combat, more than just gathering resources) then multiplayer :D

I might also be a little bias based on my amazing internet...

3. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

I'd have to agree with Turbatus. Multiplayer should increase the enjoyability of the game by quite a lot but at the moment I don't see much incentive for people to work towards mutual goals, like building structures that would be difficult for only one person (everything that can be built right now one person can pretty easily knock out) or PvM that would be difficult to tackle solo. (Or in this case at least some kind of real PvM to wipe out together.) Without those sorts of incentives to group up I think the initial rollout of multiplayer would be less impactful than it could be.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

I agree with Kolsulfr agreeing with Turbatus. I suppose it's a matter of preference and I really like multiplayer games if one feels they can "fit in" immediately, offer value and not be griefed by others' whose sole goal in life is to annoy the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time. I do, however, love NPCs, I'd rather deal with them any day than most persons like the usual "prick of the week" that speeds up to get in front of you, cut you off, then abruptly slam on their brakes to take a right turn.

I have a strong vote for more content and more single player experience. On a side note, after having experienced "Rec Room" for free, it might be fun, but it's not for me and one can spend more time fighting abuse in multiplayer games than they would creating their vision.

To Kolsulfr's point, it's very easy for even the kings to create their own castles (point & click, who knew?!) while the rest of crew goes serfing. We can assume that the wonders of the world are already in place just waiting for the adventurer to find them.

5. Ryan

Awesome, all of this is in line with what I was thinking so it's good to know that I have a decent idea of the will of the community.. I see Orbus VR attracting a decent amount of attention with a fairly unpolished experience so I wanted to be sure that there aren't thousands of players really hungering just to walk around the world together first. As mentioned above the MP system is pretty much done, it would probably be 1-2 weeks to have a functional server up with another month of QA I imagine. But the overwhelming opinion is for more content first and that people can wait on the MP side of things. Good to know, onwards and upwards!

6. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

Don't get too over-zealous, you have a good thing going here and I think when it's time for you to release your "magnum opus" (or as Charlotte from Charlotte's Web says "great work") that you want it to make a lasting impression.

Heck my initial impressions were that this person was onto something good (re-iterated from "Herman's Hermits", "Something tells me I'm into something good"), but in all seriousness you're putting a lot of time into something I want to see grow further.

7. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

As I stated before I have no interest in PVP at all. So I am also biased toward focusing on PVE co-op/MMO connectivity and a solid easy to get into combat system. Easy doesn't mean not fun. Easy just means that a lot of people will be able to enjoy VR. A lot of people can't do PVP in VR hyper-physically. Us older folk and with medical issues love to support VR but we also ache faster than the younger folk, etc., and prefer a good PVE and/or less xtreme PVP experience. Maybe there could be a support mode for PVP for those who can't be as physical like shooting ranged only or canons from afar or something like that. I don't know. I am just saying. There are a lot of casual players such as me who would support this game if there is something for us to enjoy. Thanks.

8. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

PvP is on the lower end of priorities... He's asking about co-op multiplayer, or the advanced combat system... Eventually PvP will be in the game... This does not mean you have to participate.... :)

The advanced combat system doesn't mean the PvP system, more of a single player combat system currently... And from my understanding there will be two different servers for PvP and PvE, so don't get your blood pressure up, gramps, you can go fishing with your lodge mates on your PvE server while us youngins see who has a longer sword. ;p

(Hoping you can pick up my intended humor here... Hard to tell without tone...)

9. Ryan

Oh yea, in terms of the combat, it was relating to PVE combat not PVP. Right now we have a super basic melee system in place and mostly all ranged. With advanced combat I would like to have more advanced AI's, player shields and a melee system that actually has you performing semi-realistic sword fighting moves instead of just wiggling the controllers around

10. F-man

F-man New Member

Get the Advanced Combat System in place first. Then we can show Yore off to our friends and get them to buy VR and Yore, while you work on getting MP in place ;-)

11. Ryan

Sounds like a plan!