What are some of the best looking dungeons you've seen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Obviously this is an unlit scene, so ignore that side of it and we haven't put any effort into the materials but we are starting to lay down the bricks in a large dungeon complex that lies in the center of the new mountain (http://i.imgur.com/E73v1PO.png). While we aren't going to be building anything overly complex here, what I'm interested in seeing from you guys is examples of amazing dungeons as far as the mood that they've created. By mood I mean the lighting, the atmosphere, etc etc, as apposed to layouts and what not. Please attach or link to screenshots below if you can so that we can take some of these ideas and integrate them into this dungeon early on.

[​IMG]

2. Ryan

Some more progress shots as we experiment with scale

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Holy shit. Impressive! Is it actually going to be a giant open room, or will it be a dungeon with multiple doors, rooms, and floors? Either way, it looks amazing...

4. Ryan

This one is likely going to be a giant room room now, I did that so that if we wnated to we could put some massive creature in here. Also if it's big and open I can fill it with a lot of internal stuff. If anything it gives me the flexibility to change up what happens in here down the road.

The dungeon itself will be multiple floors, this will be the main central point for the entire structure

5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Ok, so the dungeon as a whole isn't just going to be 1 room then? great news! Also, you spelled "Ant" wrong in that picture. It is A-N-T, not sure how you managed to type "Deer". :D

Harry_T likes this.
  6. Ryan

heh, true.. Yea the dungeon is going to be a fairly large structure so that we can have it be like a blank canvas to keep our options open for later. The end goal is that what we have now is just the top layer, but it will go down and down and down into public and private instances for groups. As you've pointed out, this main chamber is fairly huge, that wasn't an accident as there might, from time to time, be a creature equally large that inhabits this space.

7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Cool. I'll invest in brown pants.

Harry_T likes this.
  8. bulzap

bulzap New Member

• The last half of Maraudon (WoW instance) .
    • I would also love to a see dungeon with a room similar to the Molton Span (WoW again).
    • The gallery episode 1 where you take the elevator down ( )
    • Basicly I like very large areas with strong dynamic lightning (I think lava is a nice source for that kind of lightning). It can especially feel strong if you have been inside a dungeon with small/medium sized rooms and then suddenly it opens up (balcony or something) to this huge area.

Harry_T likes this.
  9. Ryan

Great ideas, and welcome to the forums!

10. Max

Max New Member

While not super striking in terms of intricate design (the game was grid based), I really liked the "classic dungeon" visuals from Legend of Grimrock.

Harry_T likes this.
  11. Ryan

While the engineering team is busy busy busy working to get the build stable and solid enough for a major and long over due update, the enviro team has been busy putting together the new dungeon complex:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry_T likes this.
  12. Ryan

Getting more lighting and post processing detail added now:
    [​IMG]

13. Ryan

Went into the engine and took some prettier high res shots to do this latest progress justice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]