Suggestion for a blacksmiths guide.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DersonThePerson, Jun 22, 2017.

1. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Ok, what do you think about getting the same info across in about 1/4 of the words?

3. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Yeah i can come up with something. I will do a cut down ver. Are you planning on making it like a book with multiple pages you can flip over with the other hand?

Ryan likes this.
  4. Ryan

Yea, the end goal would be a book absolutely.. Right now I'm thinking of just having a scroll or a couple of scrolls like the smelter has. Or at the most a book that woudl just be open but you couldn't flip the pages

5. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

I quite like the idea of a book just sitting open on the table, so you can just read the two open pages.... ultimately a 3d book object that you can pick up and flip the pages would be totally awesome. But for now an open book sounds good. I have adjusted my smithing guide for you and got it down to three pages at the moment. I am trying to further condense it into two for you so that this idea will work.

6. Ryan

We actually sat down today and put together a book system that you can flip through, you spurred us into action and so it should be in the game shortly!

7. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Oh wow!
    Funnily enough i was going to sit down with ue4 this weekend and see if i could build a book object for you guys. You must have so many things to build, its massive what your trying to achieve! I have cut down the guide to three pages and was going to try to cut it down further. But sounds like three pages will be ok?

8. Ryan

It's not so much about building the book it's about building the system that will allow us to realistically flip pages and then figuring out if we want to place dynamic text via UMG onto the pages that can be edited in the engine or do it all in textures.

9. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Ah yes. Management and future planning. I would imagine textures make it quicker and easier for deformation of pages as they bend and that kind of thing. But probably text works better for making more books quickly and dynamically? Never tried anything like that, but i know what its like making web page animations etc.

10. Ryan

That's exactly the connundrum, you nailed it. It's very difficult to get the UMG widget to deform properly in real time but it would allow us to change this stuff on the fly or hell even let players write their own book. But alas it's going to be day sof work so we're doing it the quick way for now

11. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Yeah. Makes sense though. So excited, and i will add a link to the shorter ver so you can see if its any good to you.

12. Ryan

Thanks! And if you could provide it as a google doc and not a PDF that would rock.., Don't worry about spending too much time on the font or background image stuff, all of it will be copied into our book page template. It looked great though!

13. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Yeah no probs!