So I finally overclocked my GPU/CPU...

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Turbatus, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

So, I made my first attempt at overclocking anything, and thus far all seems stable... I got my heaven benchmark score from 2130 to 2550 for my 980ti Strix, and my CPU (i75930k) from 3.5 GHz to 4.2GHz with both staying under 80c during benchmarks... Not very much from what I've seen others OC to, but I'm kinda excited about this lol... I am also 100% air cooled with the noctua d15 for my cpu.

2. R3volve

R3volve New Member

I'm glad its working out. You are one of the lucky few to win the silicon lottery. I have never had a GPU that would overclock and stay stable (not even my 1080). CPU's tend to be more OC reliable, but games dont really depend on the CPU that much.

Water coolng is a sham btw. Its the same as air cooling, you just move the fan farther away from your PC.

3. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I only used MSI afterburner for the gpu, but from what I've read the 10 series doesn't seem to be a good overclock card regardless. It just comes as a beast.

Ya, not a fan of water cooling... Too risky for something air can do fairly well.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

I got a 3770k (3.5Ghz base clock) that I'm running at 4.6GHz stable for a long time now. I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon except if there is some massive CPU revolution coming.
    My Gigabyte 980ti G1 is not as overclock happy as some other peoples cards I feel like. I'm it running at 1217Mhz base/1306Mhz Boost and 1848Mhz Memory. Any higher than that and I'm running into issues. I do have to say that I try to keep over-volting to a minimum.

5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Ya, cpu doesn't seem bottleneck much, but I wanted over 4GHz anyways. :p my clock speed is at 1541Mhz boost, and memory at 4145Mhz

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Are you using MSI Afterburner or something else? Mind posting some screens of your settings? Maybe I'm just missing something, not that used to GPU OC.

7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

[​IMG]
    Sure. This should show you all you need to know, unless you're wanting my fan curve too. :p

The voltage adjustment you can use in MSI AB isn't enough to hurt anything. Its when you go to flash a custom bios that things get risky...

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Thanks, I'll dabble with mine some more and see what I can get out of it.

9. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Yea, you definitely won the lottery there.. I have a liquid cooled 1070 and I couldn't get more than 5% OC'ed out of it before it started to loose stability.. Temps would stay around 50c under load but didn't seem to matter

10. IanL

IanL New Member

Some nice results there Turbatus. I have my old iCore 5 750 overclocked from 2.66Ghz to 3.72Ghz and could probably push it more as it maintains a nice 58C air cooled with a Noctua NH-U12S when testing with all cores pushed to 100% utilisation. This old processor rarely gets choked when running VR apps but will be less efficient due to instruction set /architecture improvements down the line.

Running with a straight GTX970 I get an average FPS of 56.9 and a score of 1434 for the same settings as you in Heaven Benchmark 4 which is not too bad for an old rig like mine. I have not tried overclocking the GPU yet, could probably squeeze some more FPS out of it.

11. IanL

IanL New Member

Seeing that my processor, as outdated as it is, didn't appear to be too much of a bottleneck in VR I decided to upgrade my GPU to a Gainward Pheonix 1080 GS and the results in VR have been fantastic allowing me to massively oversample. I still have some headroom on the i5 750 overclocking as I've tested it up to 4.2Ghz and it's still stable ... but obviously the temperatures rise so I've left it at 3.7 for now as it's handling anything I throw at it. I've no intension of overclocking the GPU as it's more than adequate.

I'm sure performance would benefit from a later model cpu but for now I really can't complain as my 7 year old processor just keeps delivering.

Heaven benchmark.jpg