Smelting

Discussion in 'Guides, tips and tricks' started by Ryan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Smelting
    So it's come to our attention that Skelly has been slacking in his duties at educating new users to the art of Smelting so I figured I would step in and offer a little advice.

First of all you should know that the Smelting in Yore is a combination of techniques used in ancient bloomeries as well as larger blast furnaces so if you dig this sort of thing I highly recommend searching youtube for ancient bloomery and watching these guys go to town.

Anyways here's the TL:DR

• 10 Iron ore = 1 ingot
    • Coal = Watch the smoke stack, the thicker and darker the smoke the more coal you've got in reserve.
    • Temperature = Working the bellows is key, use both hands on the bellow, it'll speed things up

So the here's a step by step for new users:

1.) Gather enough coal to keep your furnace hot enough long enough..
    2.) Add 10 pieces of coal and 10 pieces of Iron up top, just throw them into the chimey
    3.) Get down below and start working the bellows, it shouldnt' take too long before a 'bloom' will start to form in the bottom, maybe 10-20 seconds is all you need
    4.) Go over to the wooden rack and grab the pair of tongs. Be careful as they are still a work in progress and can be tricky to handle until you get used to them
    5.) Reach into the furnace and carefully pull out the bloom
    6.) Turn around and put it gently on the anvil so it doesn't roll off
    7.) Quickly grab the hammer as you have a limited amount of time to clean the slag off before it cool down. When it stops sparking you'll know it's too cold
    7b.) If you didn't manage any good strikes before it turned grey, worry not, you just need to put it back in the smelter, heat it up and try again.
    8.) Put the bloom back into the bottom of the smelter and make sure you have coal to fire it back up again
    9.) Work those bellows and you should see the molton iron pour out into the bucket beside you
    10.) Pick up the newly formed ingot with the tongs and quench it in water to cool it down
    11.) Sell the ingot for money, or use it to build swords or more advanced buildings

2. heniras

heniras New Member

ooh thanks you so much i will try it now =)

3. Harry_T

Harry_T Community Manager Staff Member

There is nothing better than getting the smelter to work!

4. Chris Hollingworth

Chris Hollingworth New Member

Should probably have read this earlier.... been failing for an hour now. Seems like I'm not getting the bloom hot enough as it's grey by the time I get it to the anvil..... I really wanted to bash the skelly with the hammer...

5. Ryan

Yea you have about 12 seconds I believe to get it from the Smelter to the anvil. So are you just taking too long to get it there or is it just not hot enough? It has a max temperature on it so you can only get it so hot.

6. Chris Hollingworth

Chris Hollingworth New Member

Until you've perfected the control system I think twelve seconds is going to get rather frustrating. The tongues don't work well, sometimes the bloom clips through the side of the furness and you lose it, and sometimes im in the wrong position in my room so i have to try and move to the anvil with teleport whilst having two hands on the tongues..... then the bloom falls off the anvil, then i cant pick it up because its fallen too near to structure, then the skeleton is in the way, then i spawn new tongues instead of picking up the hammer...... etc.

7. Ryan

True, one thing to remember is that while the tongs are still a work in progress you can just throw the bloom down and pick it up with your hands for now. We have a patch coming to prevent it from slipping through the furnace. Also if you don't get those hits in time, yuo can put the unhit bloom back in the furnace, re-heat it and try again.

One of the issues with increasing the cooldown time is that this would also affect blacksmithing as ingots are governed by the same heat loss calculations as the bloom. So we'll be making it a priority to improve the usage of the tongs in general here and improve that clipping but also allow the players to just use their hands in a pinch(after it's been removed from the furnace of course)