[Thoughts] PvP Offline Raiding Mitigation

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Turbatus, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

So how can the devs make offline raiding possible, but fair unlike most other games where you log in and you have literally nothing?

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Yea.. I mean in games like Rust I think it's not as bad because half of the fun of that game is being inventive in making the hardest to raid base possible but in Yore we aren't going to have that level of modularity in the building system. Meaning you won't be placing every single wall and floor and door, etc etc, so without that it would make offline raiding even more frustrating as you have less control over how hard your base is to raid.

So some of the ideas so far are:
    • Once you are offline for 1-2 hours your house becomes indestructible
      • Now perhaps if you have a massive castle this no longer is the case, like if you are just a single player with a small modest house it works like this but if you have this huge fortified castle then you no longer get this buff.
    • Make your first house incredibly tough, your second house or as mentioned above big fortifications will not have an extra buff as they will be tough as nails by their nature
    • Hire NPC guards. A dog or guards that can either stay inside your house or perhaps only spawn when the house is attacked
      • The more guards you want the more money in upkeep they will cost

3. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

Here is a list of different ideas that can be expanded upon to combat or eliminate offline raiding.

1. Prebuilt homes w/ increased protection - Require entry through the front door, gate, and/or from small drawbridge portcullis, as the home is upgraded. This would provide increased security at higher level building(lvl 1 door, lvl 2 gate, lvl 3 portcullis), and could be complimented with a guard or guard pet option.

2. Offline Protection - For non-hardcore servers or for all PVP servers, enact an Offline Protection scheme where one of two options can be managed, one: players can log off and their homes will be protected after X minutes(except in cases where they were in combat or their home was already under attack), two: Player homes disappear after X minutes of being offline, unless attacked before the timer runs out. A placeholder should be left where the home was to protect the plot from being built on. This method may be preferred to reduce server loading during active play, though may affect load spikes as players log on and their homes revealed.

3. Defenses - Allow players to build prebuilt or custom defenses, including some concepts from my first suggestion, piranha in a moat on the highest level house, automated oil cast pouring, triggered arrow traps, and avalanche traps. This seems to be the route most survival/crafting games take, but it does NOT combat offline raiding, and simply allows the player who decides to play the most often to amass and lockdown the best resource areas. Among many, many, many other problems I foresee.

4. Trap Prison - Allow players to fashion a "disguised" cage that unsuspecting players who are not cautious can be trapped in; forcing them to respawn or destroy the cage, wasting valuable durability necessary to infiltrate a home. This can be a bit sketchy, as players can log off, and wait for the trap to be removed or moved. However, this could be diminished by forcing a player inside a non-owned building to be kicked outside under the "door sign" as a consistent spawn point, when they log off(This should be implemented regardless, to prevent players from offline camping inside a player home.

I'll think of more and update!

4. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I will post my 2 cents here, based off personal experience and desires...

I do like the idea of being able to RAID, this doesn't necessarily mean destroy everything someone else owns for absolutely no reason other than to make their lives miserable... Nothing sucks more than to have spent a week, or worse, months building up your area only to log in one day and it is ALL gone...

I would personally like to see a combination of ideas thrown around on Discord;

Offline raiding timer: 2 hours after you've logged off you get a 24-36 hour (Most people with VR headsets at this point in time probably have jobs and families and can't really log on every day...) "shield" where you can't be raided during this time. (At least until you've reached a certain structure tier? And only to your PRIMARY "base", which can be flagged and only changed once a week by the player? Example, if you build 3 houses, only the player designated primary will get this shield, the others are open to be burned to the ground...)

Greatly increased resistance to PRIMARY structures (The building itself, at least on the designated home mentioned above), so it CAN still be destroyed, but would require a large group effort... Basically, you've pretty much gotta piss off a good chunk of the server to be 100% wiped... Doors having a "normal" resistance, taking as much effort to destroy as it did to create it, same applies to furniture (Maybe you want to "send a message" but not discourage them from ever coming back?) Break their little table, destroy their bed, throw shit around... make a mess of the place. I'd rather spend an hour cleaning up then a week rebuilding... Locks on doors and chest can be bashed/picked (difficulty dependent on quality/tier) if you pick a lock on a door/chest it is still useable, if bashed the door breaks, lock on chest breaks, neither are usable anymore.

Guards: You can hire a number of guards, and/or set your tamed creatures to protect the assigned building, guards coming in various "professions"(Archer, Tank, rouge type), and quality. "Starter guards" being cheap, but at least put forth some kind of protection, all the way to elite guards that cost a lot of coin that are much stronger and more efficient. (Guards becoming more viable once you've hit a certain tier of structure)

Each copy structure after the one flagged as "home" get an increased risk of being NPC raided, this can help against people cluttering the server with random houses they only used to block resources and claim land they may or may not even use, depending on how hard it is to demolish a non primary residence. (Maybe NPC raids can loot the house either with actual loot, or random generated loot, if a player takes out that den, they get the spoils?)

5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Adding another suggestion (Partially brought on by Longfellow)

If your PRIMARY residence (Read above) is 100% wiped, burning pile of ash, only require the player to "repair" instead of rebuild, requiring no more than HALF the cost it took to make it initially... This will make it far less stressful to lose hours of work overnight...

6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

yea, I agree there. I mean it will be looted, you would loose the treasure in there but the repair work would save you the most precious resource of all and that's the time it took to build the god damn thing.

Turbatus likes this.
  7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Glad to see you also approve of this! looks like I can stop worrying so much now.