Puzzle me this: We need ideas for puzzles

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ryan, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys, we are crafting our first underground area this week (https://www.screenpresso.com/=mRX5g) and we are thinking about putting in some interesting puzzles in here. I've been watching and playing Legend of Grimrock a lot recently as research for this but so many of those puzzles involve falling, magic or fireballs shooting out of walls which I want to avoid.. I'd like more physicality as this is VR so I was hoping that you guys might have some ideas from other games you've played.

Anyways, let me know examples of some interesting physical based puzzles from other games or just stuff that you think would be cool in VR and I'll add them to the list!

2. Casual_002

Casual_002 New Member

A locked door that stops you from completing your objective is probably the easiest reason to insert a puzzle. I think it would be good to make reasons for players to look up, or even climb (yes, I'm asking about climbing again.)

You're already making them look down when they harvest, so you could already incorporate some puzzle elements that requires paying attention to the ground.

3. Casual_002

Casual_002 New Member

If the underground area is a cave, maybe there's a stalactite (stalagmite?) that has to be triggered/mined/shattered so that it falls to the ground and hits a pressure plate. Maybe there's a crystal formation on the stalac/stalag that needs to be placed in an empty container that requires 3 total objects inserted to open this door.

4. Casual_002

Casual_002 New Member

Make climbing only accessible if player can complete a blacksmithing recipe that gives the player some kind of grappling tool/climbing claw tool or something.

5. Ryan

Well unless we have a ladder present :)

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

So my wife and I were playing the new Sherlock Holmes game a couple days ago and in one case there is a part taking place in a Mayan temple with some puzzles which don't rely on magic or anything of that sort. Some of which could be translated pretty well into VR with some alterations. I can't link media with a time stamp so I'll do it as simple links and also link the full video here. Puzzles start at about 1:39.

Safe symbol passage:
    A room with tiled floor about 10x10 tiles. Each tile has a symbol on it, there are 10 different symbols. Across the room the player can see all 10 symbols on the wall facing one of the rows running towards the player. The symbol on the wall indicates which symbol marks safe tiles IN THIS ROW. The player has to make it to the other side.
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=5949

rotating bridge:
    So in this first puzzle the player is on a circular platform that has a bridge attached to it. the player comes in over that bridge. there is 1 door that requires 3 levers to be used to open. each lever opening one third of the door. Each of the levers is across the abyss around the platform. There are several stone pillars with what looks like different parts of a clock faces engraved on them. Each pillar also having a lever itself which turns the whole platform and bridge the displayed mount of a clock rotation - except in the opposite direction. The player has to make it to all 3 leavers like that to get through the final door
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=6055

Rolling boulder:
    This next puzzle has the classic Indiana Jones running from boulder situation. There is a tunnel with a boulder rolling back and forth through it. There are safe spots in the walls for the player to hide in when the boulder rolls by. Some safe spots are overgrown or blocked. So the player has to make it from safe spot to safe spot to the very end.
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=6478

Retracting tiles:
    This one is also very Indiana Jones inspired. A big room with tiled floor. when the player walks onto a tile the surrounding tiles either retract (revealing spikes below) or reveal the safe next step. After about 3 rows of this the wall behind the player will slowly start moving into the room forcing the player to move at a faster pace.
    The player can tell which next tile is safe by moving from tile to tile and see which ones retract and the player can spot the solid parts under fixed, safe tiles when those tiles disappear
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=6565

Smiling/Frowning statues:
    There is a room with lot's of pillars. On each of the 4 sides of the pillar there is a statue which is either smiling or frowning. It is safe to walk by a smiling statue but not a frowning one. The player has to make sure to only walk by smiling statues even when passing multiple ones at the same time.
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=6659

Count to ten:
    A locked gate in a circular room bars the path to treasure. On the walls there are 10 opening about forearm deep with pressure switches in them. At the mouth of the opening there are retracted spikes which shoot out if the player presses the switches in the wrong order. Each opening has an abstract number engraved above. The player has to press the buttons from 1-10 in the correct order.
    Here are examples of the numbers:

1 = .
    2 = ..
    3 = ...
    4 = ....
    5 = ___
    6 = .__
    7 = ..__
    8 = ..._
    9 = ....
    10 = ---
    youtu.be/ccQd0ohjQNE?t=6778

I think some of these could work pretty well. Additionally some of them can be fairly easily randomized so that a puzzle uses different symbols, paths etc, each time a player comes across it.
    Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Treasure maps!! Perhaps you find a treasure map inside a stump at random, and it gives a vague map to a chest that only spawns if the map is in hand? So perhaps you find a map in a skeletons hand in the dungeon, it might have a picture of the waterfall, and an x on the right side of it... You could go dig in that area and find a chest with various stuffs?

Torch puzzles. Light the torches in the correct order and a passage opens?

8. Ryan

Great ideas all around. I like the idea of putting a treasure map out there somewhere to reveal otherwise hidden areas.. The problem with this though is that they are static items. I mean I could procedurally generate treasure maps but it would be a ton of work and we want to be able to randomize and procedurally generate our caves and dungeons.

9. Ryan

Yea, I love the idea of treasure maps but they are too static, we want to procedurally generate caves/dungeons, or at least be able to randomize them and that would mean that we'd need to dynamically generate maps.. Not a huge deal but probably not something I'm going to invest time/energy into at the expense of other systems.

Torch puzzles for sure!!

10. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

As you like torch puzzles, think of a few torches with jewels in their handles. There's a map which hints as to which order certain torches must be placed. Those torches are found along the way. Each torch must be placed in its appropriate sconce in order to open a door to another area.

11. Ryan

Nice, could be torches, maybe crystals, but I like the idea

12. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

BTW, I have been a C# developer for over 10 years, looking to work with games as a hobby, I've started by taking a course on Coursera, have 3 of the 5 certificates and know my way a bit around Unity. If you're interested in using my experience in profiling, debugging and optimization in trade for enjoying this game, let me know.

13. Ryan

Thanks for the offer, i would love to take you up on it if Yore wasn't written in C++ for Unreal 4 instead of Unity

14. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

Well, I do have C/C++ experience as well, only I haven't worked with the language outside of a maintenance capacity for several years now. At some point I will probably take a look at the Unreal engine (which I did download and install), but I have too many irons in the fire as it is. I eventually need to start somewhere. Are there plans on making Yore VR moddable?

15. Studpup

Studpup Member

Since you plan in implementing the game Chess and Checkers you could apply that to the puzzle. make it pretty obvious that chess is the game then leave only one possible chess move to make a checkmate. When the piece is moved then door opens. But that's not until beta 2.
    Another idea would be using the heat of items to trigger a switch one shrine with an object that is susceptible to heat would require a lower amount of heat . The next would require it to be on fire. The third requires max temp for smelting iron.
    Another one would be channeling water through troughs to reach a counterweight for the switch.
    You could also close the door behind the player forcing them to search the room for the key. Then after opening the door that holds the loot they can pull a lever that reopens the first door (kind of like escape the room).
    Or you could go temple of doom style with the spiked ceiling that's about to crush you if you don't figure out the switch configuration. that's just a few.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  16. Ryan

Great ideas, love the one with the water.. Although trapping people in rooms is a bad idea I've learned.. We did this in the beginning and put a big note on the door with instructions on how to open it(put log in the fire) and we got a bunch of refunds because people complained the game was bugged because they couldn't get out of the room. My faith in players diminished a bit there and made me realize we can only walk as fast as the slowest among us :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Turbatus likes this.
  17. Studpup

Studpup Member

Maybe add in a magic sparkly trophy at the door so when they give up they can still open the door but not get the awesome item for completing the quest. No sarcasm at all.

18. Ryan

Well that just takes the fun out of it :)

19. Longfellow

Longfellow New Member

If you want good puzzels in a 3D enviroment look up "The Room" its old but did a lot of nice stuff that required really looking at objects to understand how to make them work.

20. Ryan

Thanks for the ref, we're tearing it apart as we speak!