[Idea] My two cents on above-ground fantasy mechanics.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Kolsulfr, May 30, 2017.

1. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

So far in the realism poll the most votes cast are for a segregated fantasy, with the second most votes for full on fantasy.

Along that vein I had a thought.

First off caves and the beast type creatures occupying them. It could be set up such that they'd keep mostly to the caves (with maybe a random spawn occasionally in the area of the cave, that in itself if you come across a random spawn while exploring it could act as a signal there's a cave with that type of creature nearby,) but left unraided for a while the spawns would slowly start to creep out of the cave ultimately reaching a fixed max radius around the entrance.

Also dungeon type creatures. There could be an element where in certain specific regions of the world there's a possibility for a random event of say, a band of orcs to start wandering around raiding. Or a necromancer to raze an army of the dead, build a small castle and maybe a couple outposts off of their labor and start attempting to destroy nearby settlements.

The idea here being that there are certain safe regions of the world, where if you don't want to have to worry about the fantasy elements coming in and wrecking your settlement you can have that. But if you want to go build in more dangerous territory because you'd find it exciting you can do that as well.

In the case of NPC settlements you could even use them as a way for people to get a feel for the safety of the region. In a relatively safe area there may just be a small town with some farms and no defenses. In a more dangerous region any settlement would be walled off and protected by armed guards. The more defenses the more dangerous the region.

This way there's areas of the world for everyone regardless of preference and the fantasy doesn't feel disconnectedly trapped underground.

Edit: (Apologies in advance for the word vomit here.) Also for the beast type creatures in caves you could have a max spawn radius attached to the mechanism that allows them to overflow. So in a dangerous area some (for the sake of example) giant venomous spiders could completely overtake a swamp if left for too long, but in a safer area a couple cougars would end up at the cave entrance. In practice you'd have the current spawn radius, starting at 0 and gradually increasing the longer the cave has gone without being wiped, up to a max spawn radius unique to the individual spawner attached to the cave, with a density variable determining the number of spawns that could occur per unit of space within the current radius (occuring randomly throughout the radius using the same detection mechanism for where and where not to let them spawn as you use for deciding where you can and cannot teleport) wiping each individual spawn on creature death and generating a new one at whatever random time interval they spawn at already, spawning new ones as the radius increases. Decrease in the radius could drop gradually proportional to the percentage of creatures total that have been killed, so if it's at a max radius of 10, and the number of spawns inside the cave plus the number of allowed spawns given the radius and density was somehow conveniently 100, and you kill 10 creatures, the current spawn radius drops to 9 and so on, down to a full wipe that sets the radius back to 0.

That's just my two cents anyway, I don't know how the community would feel about that, and I don't know what the current big picture plans are and how that would or wouldn't mesh with them, or even how difficult it would be to code all of that in practice. In any case I had the thought so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I think that's actually the plan anyways... :p

3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Yep, this is definitely what we had planned, particularly with certain types of entrances down the road. Your talk of a necromancer just gave me an interesting idea, if you die within range of the necromancers den a zombie spawns where you die and if you want your stuff back you have to kill your undead self :)

The goal here is to have our cake an eat it too. There are a lot of players that just don't want to have fantasy in their gameplay experience, they want that life is feudal style where they have realism everywhere. Other players want to be slaying dragons and fighting monsters and then there's likely a contingent of folks that fall somewhere in the middle. Segregating the areas like this is the best way I can think of to keep everyone happy. I can see us having parts of the realm where the fantasy elements come above ground like Mordor or something but we'll have to wait until the world is 3-4 times larger before we have the space to pull that off. Until then the people that want fantasy are only a small walk away from a dungeon entrance, where they can get their fill while the other players will have bandits, knights and other realistic foe's above ground to keep them busy. We will likely have fantasy elemetns right around the dungeon entrances in places or events where a cyclops or dragon might roam the land too.

there will of course be exceptions, it's not going to be super super strict as an almost equal amount of people are gunning for full on fantasy. So don't be surprised if one of these guys is seen wandering the forests (https://imgur.com/gENnnb0)

Absolutely, this is in line with our design documents, particularly for certain kinds of entrances in certain locations. Great ideas overall, it's fantastic to know we're on the same page with this stuff

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

That would be pretty great, especially for anyone not expecting it. Come back to your stuff and have a moment of panic when it's gone while it slowly sinks in that that the undead guy coming towards you looks suspiciously like you.

Fair enough, it would require quite a bit of space to pull off effectively so it'd be a substantial journey to find that stuff above-ground and wouldn't cut too strongly into the experience for the folks that want full realism because they just keep stumbling across it everytime they go exploring for any distance.

Overall I really should have dug into that more. Especially since from the beginning when I saw that y'all seemed pretty open to suggestions and I was thinking "Well, this would be something I'd like to see" every time I dug into it deeper it was like "Wait, no, they're already doing that" "Nope, that ones covered too" "Yep, still already in their plans"

5. Ryan

Actually I wouldn't want to put the fantasy stuff too too far away, I mean I dont' want to make you travel 2 hours away from civilization just to find it but have it secluded enough so it doesn't need to encroach on the realism players. There will be cool stuff in there but nothing that is 100% necessary to play the game if you didn't want to experience that

6. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

Substantial journey was too strong a wording on my part. That's more in line with what I figured you meant and was basically just agreeing with it.

7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Though I'm all for some things requiring a substantial journey!

8. Ryan

well remember you could go on that journey and just build your town close to it so if you want the fantasy you can make it your backyard

9. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

So do you guys intend to add to the map more? Like by horse back, could take 15 minutes to reach somewhere, walking taking an hour? Or am I being too ambitious in my expectations? :p

Ark holds a huge sense of danger and adventure until you start flying across the map in 3 minutes... I'd love to have that kind of feeling in Yore, but for it to not be so easily negated... Riding my horse drawn carriage full of pelts and wares through a dark and dangerous forest, having to be on the lookout for bandits... Or worse. Possibly getting so lost you need to ask other players for directions and hope they tell you the right way...

But again, I'm probably just fantasizing right now :(

10. Ryan

Yea, probably not quite that big just yet. My most ambitious goal would be a world the size of a level in Rust. We will increase these things incrementally though, right now we have a 9x9 grid of about 800x800 meter tiles, plus 1-2km of underground stuff.

The next level of expansion would probably be going up to 12x12 and seeing how performance holds up. Who knows maybe having a large island in the ocean that requires building a boat to get to, etc etc. We'll keep it pretty simple for now though, in fact I'm more interested in building down into the earth with the dungeons before going too much larger out above ground, just because it's soo much easier to optimize that stuff