Map Expansion plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

I wanted to share the preliminary ideas for our new expanded map. This is just the broad brush strokes right now but I would love to see ideas from you guys about the contents of the new areas. It is broken up into squares as each of those will be a streaming level so that we can unload all of the textures and objects out of memory from the other levels that are not visible. This is the reason for the big mountain in the middle so we can block or occlude as many of the other areas as possible from as many areas as possible allowing us to unload their contents from memory. The Green square is our current map, the blue squares will be the areas that I am looking to make available to explore ASAP and the red areas will be roughed in by blocked off for the time being. Anyways, let me know your questions and thoughts:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Ryan

Spent some good time this week generating and optimizing terrain. We are still wresting with getting the end to blend terrain materials properly but hopefully we can past that and start laying down some features on the land.

The idea is to have the western 1/3 of the this map be similar to the current map, heavily forested, surrounded by mountains with a river that runs from north to south and the lake in the middle(which we might expand as we have more room to play with now, something like this: http://forums.playyore.com/index.ph...9/&temp_hash=1f7598cf6175380ffc10735fd20ba987 ). There will also be a sharper mountain range that divides the eastern forests in the east from the steppes and grasslands in the middle with handful of paths through the mountains that lead to the western 2/3rds of the map. The existing caves will eventually gain an additional hidden exit from the main chamber that leads into the depths of the mountain. We will be building out a large dungeon structure within the mountain with exits that take the player out to the center north and south areas as well as potentially the eastern middle area. In the beginning it will likely be simple paths out to those areas but we are dreaming up a large dungeon structure in there, the Mines of Moria come to mind.

The forests will recede the further west you go, turning into grasslands and then eventually the coast of a large ocean. We are looking at if we want to change the flow of the river to flower north and then make appearances in the western maps.

I have put some thought into the new areas of the map, mainly the big brush strokes, so I am looking for yore input as to the kinds of details you think would work awesome in the rest of the map.

Attached Files:

3. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

So there will only be one dungeon? Or will that 1 dungeon have "levels" the stronger you are the deeper you can go kinda thing? And other far too many questions to expect you to answer at this point... :p

4. Ryan

I figured seeing as this is now completely implemented and working I'd finally come and reply to you :) So right now we have a 'dungeon' level yes, but as was pointed out it's not so much a dungeon right now as a massive abandoned grand hall, very much inspired by the Mines of Moria. It is however the entrance to the dungeon system. There are stairs on one side that lead down to a collapsed tunnel which will lead you to the actual dungeon system. What we plan on doing there is still up in the air, the choices are one huge dungeon system or instances where players or groups of players can go into, separate from the main world. I'm leaning towards the latter as it would allow groups of players to be down there unmolested by other players who might come in and take look or gank them when they are weak(assuming you're on a PVP server). It also allows us to very easily load balance the world across multiple servers so that we could handle 300 players with the same hardware that currently would support 200, assuming that 100 of those would be in dungeon instances being powered by separate servers. Unreal 4 is not made to seamlessly shard and I really want to avoid zone lines and level loading however instanced dungeons would be a situation where players or groups of players would likely prefer being separated for privacy and safety.

In terms of how many levels we have, well that's going to grow and grow.. I have some fairly ambitious plans for dungeons in the future but we'll keep it simple for now

5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I like the idea of ganking though xD Can it be a combination of the two, so the halls are a free for all, but if you enter a room, it is only you and your party?

6. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

OK, I might get lynched for suggesting this, but how about creating an area called "Caverns of Chaos", basically a randomly generated dungeon which changes each time you enter it? Aside from that, I prefer to do dungeons alone, or at least with some solid NPC wing-men that older RPGs gave us the honor.

If we take the 'human' part of it out, I think we can find that what might make a good game is having someone come up with a strategy as to whom they would use to create their party. Give me a palette of 20 characters and I'll find probably 20 more useful than some of my human co-workers. However, their specific skills would be useful and to the point. Imagine playing a game where you come across a chest and the 'automated' thief in the group says, "let me handle that, I have more experience in picking locks".

I think with focused NPCs, I would be more inclined to hone my own skills just to one-up the bloody bastards. I would prefer that experience more than someone trying to draw a phallic shadow on my face.

7. Ryan

Exactly.. Once you exit the private part of the dungeon you'll still need to make your way out and back home again at which point you'll be free game

Well they've have to lynch me too as we started design work on a system like this back in March :)

8. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

Well, nobody likes 'random' stuff that changes, but if it were a feature, I think it would be acceptable. If you get past the creatures and get the experience as well as leveling up (assuming there is going to be such a thing), it would be courtesy for the grind.

9. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I'm all for ever-changing dungeons... Gets old fast to do the same thing over and over

10. JFalcon

JFalcon Member

True, seeing the same thing over and over does get old, but one doesn't want a randomly generated to be a grind either. Have one dungeon that always changes every time you enter it, post a sign outside to warn the adventurer. Other smaller nooks and crannies throughout the world can be generated on the fly using a random number generator using the same seed value, just store the seed so the dungeon looks the same the next time. This way, you give the game the appearance of a large open and unique world, but still retain the memory of the adventurer who likes to explore such little areas.

11. Ryan

That's the mix we'll be going for yea.