[Question] Items to Craft - Suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ryan, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Was chatting with @DersonThePerson on discord today and he had a great suggestion about getting a compass in the game down the road to help you navigate as the map gets larger and larger. Now this could be something that shows up on a HUD of sorts, that might make the most sense later depending on how much stuff you are carrying around with you, but I like the idea of pulling out a compass and looking at it in your hands. We're making everything else physically real why stop now? Anyways that got me thinking that we will need to think of a list of items that you can craft and the means/mechanics to craft them. After discussing it with the team I am thinking about breaking it down into 3 different types of crafting styles in the beginning: Blacksmithing, Metal work with Molds and Wood working. Future plans include cooking, alchemy, leather working and clothing. A lot of items will be a combination of multiple styles.

Black Smithing
    • Swords
    • Knives
    • Armor
    • Horse Shoes
    • Hammer head
    • Pickaxe head
    • Shovel Blade
    • Lock and key
    • Crossbow parts
    • Plough blade
    • shields
    • Compass

Metal Work with Molds

• Arrow/Bolt heads
    • Spear Heads
    • Lock picks
    • Bronze blades
    • Anvils

Woodcraft

• Arrow/bolt shafts
    • Spear shafts or completely wooden spears
    • Doors
    • Fishing poles
    • Tool handles(axe, hammer, shovel, pickaxe)
    • Carts
    • Bows and Crossbows
    • Torches
    • Furniture(Work benches, beds, chairs, tables, etc etc)
    • Spinning wheel
    • Plough

I'm keen to hear more from you guys about any other items that we might want to add to this list and the kinds of mechanics you would be interested in seeing used with the crafting system. I want to avoid just putting a piece of wood and an ingot together on a table and having a spear magically appear, I would like a physical mechanic to be required, something simple enough yet nuanced enough and complex that a player could improve it

2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I would love a full leather working/clothing station also...

With detailed skinning determining the quality of pelt, you can make various leather armor pieces, rugs (decorations to show in your house/sell), maybe quivers, handle wraps for tools/weapons, clothes, bandages, etc etc

3. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Dont know what everyone else thinks, but i like the idea of having a telescope in games like this. They tried to do it in ark survival evolved, but didnt implement it properly in vr. The telescope is actually very very old, although i think for a game like this it would be an advanced item. But in vr the thought of actually holding it up to your eye and spotting enemies guarding a tresure chest from a distance sounds neat.
    How magical is this game going to be?
    Maybe this is the sort of thing only a wise wizard could craft?

4. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Just had an even cooler idea!
    So a compass is one thing. It tells you what direction your heading only. But what if you want to know more precisley?
    GPS doesnt fit in a game like this... but in times gone by, scholars and cartographers, and adventurers would calculate their position using an instrument called a sextant. (No this is not a toy for playful bedtime) although it can only be used at night. You use it to triangulate your position using stars. How cool would it be in a game like this, to have to climb up a hill and line up some device in the right position with the skybox, to get a position fix? I believe it would be the first!

5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I think decent landmarks would be a better more user friendly alternative...

"Go north at the rock that resembles a skull until you come to a stone pillar with a r shaped like a hatchet, from there go ~40 paces east and you'll find the old hermits grave"

6. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Yeah. I think actually using a sextant for real is a fairly complex task. And it would be too complex to do accuratley in vr. But the game could take all of the hard work out for you. So all the player has to do is say... wait until night and hold the device up to the horizon to get a reading. But it would mean that virtual grid references could feature in a medeival game, which would be quite unique. It would also mean that quests could be created that can only be achievable with access to a sextant... or a friend that has one. A compass wont tell you how far you need to walk north from the bush shaped like shirley bassey. Which would make the sextant a valuable item. Maybe only one that wizards can use... giving a wizard a further use within a group, besides the usual dps/nuke role they fulfil in just about every rpg since the start of the genre.
    Anyway its just an idea..

7. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

You cant count footsteps in vr. No foot tracking... yet anyway.

8. Ryan

It's probably a bit complex right now, the compass is a good start but when we get to the point where there are sailing ships then Sextants will definitely be coming out

9. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Sailing ships woooooooooo!

10. Flag1944

Flag1944 New Member

This is starting to feel like a VR version of Ultima Online to me. Hope it keeps going this route. Loving it

11. Ryan

heh, well I honestly think I will be going to the space station before we can match the comlexity of UI however we are definitely heading in that direction. Any craftable items that I missed come to mind @Flag1944 ?