HTV Vive going wireless with Add-On

Discussion in 'VR Chat and News' started by Jeremiah, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Harry_T likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

A little bit skeptical about this. A.) how is the extra 15-30 ms of latency going to feel and B.) How will the video quality suffer considering right now the Vive Cables transmit/receive around 9gbps of data while this device tops out around 80-100mbps.

3. Harry_T

Harry_T Community Manager Staff Member

I'd welcome it if the latency isn't an issue. Took a nasty fall after tripping over the cord and learned that it's actually possible to catch the cord between flip flop and foot this summer. The Vive survived thankfully :)

4. Syrsly

Syrsly New Member

I've had my phone set up with Trinus to be a makeshift wireless headset for Fallout 4, but the resolution had to be incredibly small... and it disconnected every 5 minutes.

Harry_T likes this.
  5. chaoko954

chaoko954 New Member

Seems cool, but we will see how good it performs when it comes out. I have a feeling it will be great for low graphical things or small games. but things like Netflix or heavy graphical intense games are not going to perform well.
    If it breaks my immersion, i don't want it. but here's to hoping it works!

6. Ryan

exactly.. I think the milimeter wave tech coming out of MIT will be what will truly make VR wireless

chaoko954 likes this.
  7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Wireless? I'm still waiting for actual covers so I can stop having a panic attack every time I bump my HMD with a controller... Or a way to secure my vive and controllers to my desk and charge them where they aren't at risk of fall damage >.>

8. Ryan

yea, we've knocked it over a few times. I'd settle with some way that I can extend the cables about 40 feet so I can run them up to the ceilnig and then down in the center of the room and have the HMD hang there instead of running along the ground

9. Harry_T

Harry_T Community Manager Staff Member

I've seen some really cool setups with the cords running up the ceiling. It seems like a lot of the VR arcades popping up are taking that approach as well!