[Poll] How realistic should the world of Yore VR be?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2016.

?

Realistic Medieval vs Fantasy

1. 100% realism - No skeletons, no unrealistic beasts and certainly no monsters.

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Semi realistic - No monsters but some realistic beasts such as Giant Scorpions or Giant spiders only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Segregated #1- Above ground is humans/animals. Giant beasts only in caves. Monsters only in dungeons

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Segregated #2 - Monsters limited to dungeons, animals/giant beasts/people everywher else

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Full on Fantasy - Monsters, Giant Beasts, Animals and Humans are everywhere

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

Sorry about not quoting but some of us gamers just like to be in a nice world. And this is more so in VR. All this attitude about my stuff is better than yours? I personally don't care. I just want to traverse this world and that is it. I played WOW and EQ 2 for over 10 years and NEVER maxed out a character and I had plenty. Why? I didn't care about end game or looking like Mr. Showoff. I just loved doing quests and running around such nice worlds. Yes I did fight and kill mobs but that was always secondary for me. I hope Yore VR can be that way also. Since it is suppose to be "My VR" not just the hardcore crowd or the let's do everything the same as regular games crowd. In some of my VR games I just sit in them and have a drink. In Arizona Sunshine I was on the bridge sitting and a zombie was just up the roadway staring at me just standing there. I felt like I was really there. That is how I love my VR and why I love VR. My way. That is just my thoughts. That was the point I was trying to get to in my previous post above. That is what makes a world feel real that isn't. Not being forced to do anything. Do you all understand what I am saying?

Ryan likes this.
  2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

While I agree with "Some of us gamers just like to be in a nice world" some of us gamers like sandboxes, competition, and needing "human skill" over button presses. But I don't think you can name a single game that absolutely everyone enjoys... I tried several times to get in to WoW, and never could... I enjoyed guildwars 1 for over 3k hours across 5 years where max level was 20, with 6 characters... There are just some games that aren't for some people... It sounds harsh, but is the unfortunate truth...

In regards to "My VR" I think you misunderstand the title(Ok, I accept defeat, it is a double meaning name as made clear by Ryan a couple post down.)? Yore- of long ago or former times, which is exactly what this game is, with a bit of fantasy thrown in the mix. Though I still feel like you're looking at this game as a you're required to do this, and build that, when from everything I've seen it is pointing to open world, do whatever the hell you want when you want. You want to sit back and relax, take in the sights? Go fishing! Feel like exploring? Hop on your horse drawn carriage and travel the map. Etc etc... Ya, you'll have to put in a little effort here and there, but the vast majority appears to be about personal preference...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Ryan likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Well Yore is a play on words meaning what you said but also talking about how we are making a game guided by the community, your VR in that sense. Anyways GameCooker, there isn't anything here stopping you from going out and exploring the world, but just like EQ there are going to be dungeons and areas in the map that will require decent gear and skills to not get killed by the monsters that inhabit that place. It will also be like Minecraft in the sense that everything above the ground will be built up by players and if you are on a PVE world will be free for you to go through and admire without risk of being ganked.

4. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Fair enough :p I accept defeat this time. lol

Ryan likes this.
  5. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

I hope you are correct. ;-) . Well I just think open world VR games can be as I prefer above as well as all the other stuff ( which I don't hate but is secondary to me ). If this was a regular game I'd have zero interest. That is why my hopes, desires and expectations are high for it. It is up to devs to decide to accommodate obviously. And as far as the "My VR" taken from the "Yore VR"? That was in direct response to what the developer told me on Steam I believe. If I understood correctly I thought he was referring to the name with double meaning about building a game for "us" the way we want it. Cheers.

Ryan and Turbatus like this.
  6. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

I think that this should be 100% option based. I'd like to see separate servers for full fantasy or realism respectively(or a selectable mode for dedicated servers). That will allow for the fantasy side to continue updates with new creative content, while the realism servers likely become more stagnant as far as updates further down the road.

7. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

You want to code that? :p maybe at a later date I'd think? kinda like ark how they have different servers with different rules, but they got a bunch of stuff out before they did that.

8. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

Well, if it's considered now, and planned for later, it would allow for preparation to be done much more easily and smoothly no? I mostly am suggesting for final release builds, but I'd gladly take those features now. ;)

9. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

That many severs this early would be a bad idea though, splitting a already very small community. but planning ahead could be a thing I suppose.

10. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

Yeah definitely not expecting it as a launch idea, but maybe....player modes for PvP vs PvE in game would avoid the need for separate servers? "If you haven't engaged combat in X minutes, you can activate PvE mode" and a timer to deactivate PvE mode so it isn't abused to troll. Or maybe it must be switched from within your house, so people can't camp your house and never let you leave. This may also help keep people from disconnecting to avoid losing a fight...which maybe can be minimized by logoff timers/idle mode until X minutes pass then you disappear....or do the survival favorite and have your body flop to the ground asleep. Heh...that would be a hoot.

There are so many ways to approach the idea, but I personally am of the "more options for all!" crowd, provided that it's plausible and functional.

I need to stop.

My ideas beget more ideas.

11. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Actually I really like that timer idea. kind of lIke the eso bounty system, if you're witnessed killing an innocent player, stealing, etc you get a bounty (only if witnesses are there) that goes away when killed or you hide long enough

12. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

Ohhhhh YES please incorporate thieving or stealth skills!

YES HYPE ME UP MORE!

13. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Pretty sure that part is already going to be a thing, bashing and picking locks etc, but if you're witnessed adding a bounty is my suggestion to add on to it

14. Badkarma012

Badkarma012 New Member

I think what you guys need to consider is where the game industry (for sandbox games similar to this) is at the moment. The audience just isn't around for a full-scale realistic medieval sandbox. Not to mention, at the moment the VR community is still relatively small. A game I think might be good to look into when following monsters, creatures, skills etc.. Is Wurm. It offers a bit of fantasy that everybody enjoys but also brings in an adult audience to the tasks and time a user will put into being successful. What you guys are taking on is something that hasn't been attempted or even thought out by any other developers. This game will be very rewarding as long as you follow through with it. But in order to eventually market this game for support, and getting a solid base of players, it really is all about where we are seeing the industry going with sandbox games, and what the audience appears to be craving, and it is clear that the games with the most devoted player bases offer a realistic feel to user progression but the world offers a good mixture of fantasy etc..