[Poll] How realistic should the world of Yore VR be?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2016.

?

Realistic Medieval vs Fantasy

1. 100% realism - No skeletons, no unrealistic beasts and certainly no monsters.

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Semi realistic - No monsters but some realistic beasts such as Giant Scorpions or Giant spiders only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Segregated #1- Above ground is humans/animals. Giant beasts only in caves. Monsters only in dungeons

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Segregated #2 - Monsters limited to dungeons, animals/giant beasts/people everywher else

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Full on Fantasy - Monsters, Giant Beasts, Animals and Humans are everywhere

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. Studpup

Studpup Member

Even if it's an enraged badger attacking you while your picking up that precious stone that would make it interesting

2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Oh god. Enraged badger... Immune to poisons you coated your blade with and fairly high def/hp...

3. Studpup

Studpup Member

Complete with froth on its mouth

4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

haha, well the above ground will still be dangerous, just in a realistic way.. so wolves, bears, bandits, roving hoards of vikings, other players, who knows. We'll just keep the really scary and unrealistic stuff to the caves and dungeons. That being said, the more dangerous caves/dungeons will likely have some of their bestiary spilling out into the world

Studpup likes this.
  5. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

So segregated 1 it is?
    I like the idea of it spilling out slowly over time, it'll almost "force" progression to an extent. One day minding your own business, that night a random freaking skeleton is wandering around outside your home... (After adequate time to get used to the game, of course) I'm down!

6. IanL

IanL New Member

The game will definitely benefit from a wide range of creatures/monsters to maintain interest. So long as there is an area around the home in which its relatively safe to carry out normal collecting and crafting activities and not hinder that, then the world could become progressively more dangerous as you move away. Keeping the unrealistic stuff to caves and dungeons gives people the opportunity to ignore that if that's not the experience they are looking for - best of both worlds!

Winning battles against tough adversaries needs to be rewarded tangibly in some way though with something useful to the player, better weapons, useful/increased skills, protection bonuses maybe? Reward the player for pushing the boundaries!

Although I've only played a few hours of the game so far I can see its great potential and am looking forward to how you extend this!

7. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

Open PVP no thank you please. I want a world where I progress as fast as I choose and also have an opportunity to explore a wide area without having to worry about beefing myself up too much. Being able to avoid danger by sneaking past mobs should be implemented in the game. I am not for super realism but I certainly don't want to be grinding in the same area for a long time just to level or gear up to go to the next. Our biggest commodity should be our weapons. Period. If we learn how to shoot then we can kill. It can be as simple as that. If we want to take on a larger more dangerous foe than the devs can put in dungeons or instances for that kind of stuff. Fun more than stress is my forte. Being in a Virtual World is enough for me. I don't want to be worrying about dying every 5 minutes. If I have enough armor on and enough arrows, bolts and bullets to go on a long journey than that should be enough. Just like the real world in a sense. If I went hunting in real life each bear I try to kill won't be a different level. It may be a slightly different size, the weather may be different, the season, etc., etc. That is what should be the emphasis in my opinion more than "level". I like a tree system where the more you hunt or practice the more your damage may be and the more you craft the better your ammo might get. You still have to be able to hit your target though to get the kill. I can go on and on but that is enough. You get the point.

8. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Welcome to the forums! :p

They said they would have multiple servers, some PvE, some PvP, and you'd still be able to play alone, or private network.

I don't think I've seen any mention of levels (In the traditional sense) or anything, so I doubt that is a concern. You can already sneak, but I don't know if you could sneak past all the things in caves and dungeons... But I'm sure they will vary in difficulty. I feel like instead of traditional leveling, it will be more of a leveling in real life type thing, where the biggest thing will come from your actual skill as opposed to Ding! Grats! And equipment from my understanding will still come from tiers. Though for long journeys I am under the impression you will still need to have food and water at the bare minimum.

The only grind I see is resources for those of us who enjoy building a lot(Or smithing/Other trade skills), or maybe for a rare ingredient, but not for levels (Unless they do decide to go that dreaded route...)

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, Ryan.

GameCooker likes this.
  9. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah everything you said sounds good. I don't mind building and making things as a secondary function of game play. I played EQ2 for years and liked crafting, questing, doing writ quests for guild, dungeon crawling, collecting, exploring,etc. I like a good balance of things to do but not constrained to "have to do anything" on a constant basis. Maybe consuming food and drink would be the only thing I would except as a have to do thing. Obviously armor upgrading and weapons would be a given if I want to do battle and run dungeons. Playing alone is not something I want to do. Co-op play as a team would be my preference.
    I am hoping in the long run we can treat the virtual world as a real one where we can gather stuff no matter where we are and make things or build things along the way on our journey. Have seasons are weather depending on where we travel so that if we get cold we would have to build a shelter with a fire to warm our bones while we hunt and battle in a certain area. Simplify the game play as in remove redundancies like all the material boxes we have in town right now. The signs are sufficient to tell us how much we have to work with and what we can make but having a book like in The Forest would be better so we can take it along with us. We should have one supply depot that we drop all our harvest items and then when we go to make arrows or a stone wall or whatever it is just taken from that supply "warehouse" automatically. Also, as I stated on Steam when we gather not have to throw stuff two times. Put harvest items in cart and then have a drop off button in town that automatically puts everything in depot. Throwing twice is boring and redundant. If people want to do that than give us an option to auto empty then for those of us who want to move along a little faster. That is not dumbing down the game. That is utilizing real life time more efficiently to get the maximum game play time possible. Games work off of time played versus rewards. This is something developers should know about in regards to psychology. The developer has to look at the game from all perspectives. Not just hardcore do everything exactly like real life kind of way. And again VR uses our real whole body to play the game so when players get off they have to go deal with family and friends and jobs and do not want to be mentally and physically exhausted after playing. And trust me these games will have people playing for hours on end. I will be one of them. Right now I can't play because of the performance issues I am having. That is a bummer because I want to learn how to play so I can play with less stress than I was having. I still have not made a weapon. The forge is broken for me. The video is clear on that. Games do tend to grow on people. That is a good thing. But I am behind the eight ball already. I may play a little after this message to see if performance improved and the forge works since the dev turned off the snow. Although I did like the snow. The snow was also in the buildings too so that may need fixing. Sorry for grammar mistakes. Kids are running all around me right now and want everything. I have 3. Ok. Ciao. ;-)

10. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Ok, I do admit the warehouse idea is good for bulk, but I also like having SOME boxes, like in the forge, a box for iron, and a box for coal, and ore and coal by the furnace. So, would the following be a fair enough compromise, >>provided the devs are willing<<?

3 cart drop locations, marked with a dirt parking space of sorts, 1 by the furnace, 1 by the forge, 1 by the warehouse (If it becomes a thing?) If you park at the forge, it will take all iron and coal in the cart, the rest stays, by the furnace all coal and ore are removed and put in to their stacks, and at the theoretical warehouse, it takes all of it and sorts it within the building (BUT I purpose doing it the current way to build said warehouse...Which you can expand over time, so maybe a "level 1" warehouse can hold 50 of everything, 2 can hold 100, etc... But after level 1 you get "easy mode" of not having to carry things like you said?) If you want to craft a structure, you can build them at the building site using warehouse resources.

The weather from my interpretation will become a thing down the line, when I mentioned exposure, and wet/dry in another post, and needing a cloak or something to keep warm. But they did mention biomes, so I foresee a snowy biome area in the future.

As for performance, heh, the last update made mine worse, and made my controls really freaking weird... They have a lot on their plate right now trying to get touch and wands working, without messing up the other, along with the massive amounts of content they intend to push out in the coming months...

And yes. Kids know when you're trying to do something.... Want 2 more? :D

11. GameCooker

GameCooker New Member

I already have two grown kids and 3 new little ones. I think I have enough for my age. Thanks. They are a charm though. Gotta love 'em. ;-)
    And yes obviously when I was talking about the materials I wasn't referring to things like the forge where you have to throw the coal and iron in the kiln directly. That is the one crafting station where I personally would except the extra physical work to do the job. But not every single crafting station. Please no. Or at least give an option to enable/disable realistic crafting if there is any other station that the developer wants to make as realistic as the forge. That is one reason I do not like writing in discussions and forums. I can't really explain everything in detail and miss stating what I would think is the obvious. My main thing is the KISS rule I learned in school (keep it simple stupid). And I'll always go back to that.Even in a hardcore game you can have simplicity so that everyone can enjoy the game. And for those who want everything hard, complicated and time consuming like they are actually living 1200 years ago they can toggle that stuff on if they want.
    I do hope they give us a horse for the cart. I think it is very impracticable to have to pull it around by hand especially since there is no real pivot on the wheels. If we were just picking food out of a garden near our house or flowers for the lady to keep her happy than I can understand a cart for very local chores. I'd rather have a work horse follow me around with the cart that I have to pet and feed to keep it happy within reason of course. Pets would be nice to. Like a hunting dog or a variety of animals to choose from. On and on and on with the ideas. This kind of game is endless with what it can have. It should just do everything the last 50 MMOs did , RPGS did, Survival Games did, Sandbox games did, open world games did, etc. etc. Nothing really will be new except the look of the world and the fact that you actually do everything with your hands and can interact with your environment. Hmmm. That sounds so nice. We actually can be in our game doing the stuff for vir-real. I am so glad we have arrived and I am alive to be a part of this technology.

12. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Well , good news. horses are confirmed and from a dev will be able to pull the cart... I think the only thing left undiscussed by the devs that seems to concern you the most is just the boxes and moving everything twice... but currently I just chop a few trees down, hover the basket over them, dump them in the cart , and unload by using the basket as a scoop in the cart, so it doesn't feel like much. I guess time will tell, good sir.

13. Studpup

Studpup Member

I like the smithing system. When Yore goes multiplayer you will need customers to sell your wares to. If everyone can make top quality armor and swords with a single hammer swing then no one will buy your stuff. Since there is no leveling of skills then they have to make it challenging or else it wont be fun or satisfying to know you have the best equipment. As you watch your buddy Joe, who is wearing junk armor and weapons get slaughtered by some bandits and their pet wolf you'll just laugh at him because he didn't feel like working for his stuff.
    A skill tree might not be that bad though if you think about it. Every mmo ive ever played has skill trees and the reason they have them is to separate the noobs from the vets. Vets get the noobs money because noobs need good gear. Maybe something like apprentice Smithy to grand master. Same with tailoring, alchemy, taming " a noob shouldn't be able to tame a grizzly". I have spent countless hours grinding on other games, I wouldn't mind grinding taming so I could walk into town with 2 grizzly bears in my wake

14. Leobyn

Leobyn New Member

The talking skeleton is okay if the rest of the world will be based in fantasy. Its hard to think of Yore as a realistic medieval game with him giving me chores. However, I like his backstory and I'm fine with Yore VR being made in a fantasy setting, just as I would be fine with a more realistic setting. All I ask is that it is kept as consistant as possible.

15. Ryan

Yep, agree with you on most all accounts here. The real power of VR is that each players actual physical skills(ie: how quick they can nock an arrow) are, and should, be the true determining factor in winning or loosing an encounter. In essence you are leveling up your real self instead of gaining imaginary stats to your character. This is what I want to focus on and not layer too much else on top of things.

16. Ryan

We are definitely in the process of this. Unfortunately what is simple, gameplay wise, is much more complicated, development wise. That's why things are the way they are now, to get something quick and dirty in while we come up with better ways to do things

This is a little too simple and centralized for my liking. What my plan is will be to handle building similar to Life is Feudal where you decide to construct say a smelter and it places a semi-transparent, or partially built version of the structure there and then you need to put the required resources into this area. You then go around with your hammer and start building the structure. Once you get one section or portion of it complete you need to ensure that you have enough resources within the structure, perhaps in a chest of sorts, and then you move on to the next section and start hammering away on that. This way multiple people can contribute to a structure by dropping off resources, while other players might be the ones doing the constructing. I don't want to go down the same road as LiF by having buildings take days and days to build mind you.

This his where the basket is going to come into play to minimize this, we are building a magnet into it to gather up resources and drop them a lot easier.. Right now it holds 7 of each type, and we might increase that to 10-15. It would mean emptying a full full cart shouldn't take you more than 2-3 seconds, no longer than transfering items from one inventory to another in a game like Rust, and with the magnet on the basket it means you won't have to bend over if you don't want to.. That being said, if players do want to be hardcore then they are more than welcome to

17. Ryan

You'll be happy to know that the new recoded cart that we're testing tonight has pivots on the front wheels and turns so much better. That being said, this current cart will be the second largest in the game and will be useable with a horse. The reason it is in now is because we didn't have time to put in the other 2, an even larger horse drawn cart and a smaller wheel barrow style push cart.. The smaller one will be nice and nimble but carry less. Just not enough time with a small team to do everything all at once but we will get to it soon.

Taming wolves will be in the near future, thinking we might have cats first, not sure yet :) But taming with the wolves at least so you can have someone protect your town when you are out is definitely in our plans

18. Ryan

Definitely.. Right now we've made the blacksmithing and smelting fairly easy, you have to try a little bit to make a bad sword, but as the option to buy swords from other players emerges and the quality of the sword starts playing an important role in combat then we'll be ratcheting up the difficulty.. It's all a formula of how quickly the ingot and the blooms cool down really, speeding that up will change everything.

Well I like what Rust has done recently.. They've given players the ability to build anything they want and removed all XP systems so that the challenge is about finding the materials needed to build these things. For taming a grizzly it might require a special fish that can only be found in deep water, which would require a top of the line fishing rod with a lot of line and a boat to go out far from the shore. In that sense, you are going through a lot of the same motions as leveling up, except your level is represented by your access to the boat and the great fishing line and then having the right physical skills to land that special fish to tame that bear.

19. Ryan

Yep, that's the goal of the segregated fantasy #1.. It's consistent in the the various areas, so if you are in a dungeon yoou know what to expect as they are consistently fantasy.. If you are in a cave system, well you know to expect giant spiders or other creatures based on real life but no 100% realistic, and if you are out in the open world you know that it's going to be as realistic as possible and other players and wild animals will be what you expect.. That way each person can go seek out their own preferences without forcing those on the other players who might have different preferences

20. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Now are you still going with after a while has passed a monster may come to the above land on occasion, or did you scratch that idea?