[Poll] How realistic should the world of Yore VR be?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2016.

?

Realistic Medieval vs Fantasy

1. 100% realism - No skeletons, no unrealistic beasts and certainly no monsters.

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Semi realistic - No monsters but some realistic beasts such as Giant Scorpions or Giant spiders only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Segregated #1- Above ground is humans/animals. Giant beasts only in caves. Monsters only in dungeons

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Segregated #2 - Monsters limited to dungeons, animals/giant beasts/people everywher else

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Full on Fantasy - Monsters, Giant Beasts, Animals and Humans are everywhere

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

As we start building our first dungeon we need to decide what kind of enemies to populate it with and so a debate has been raging in my head about how fantasy versus medieval Yore VR should be. There are essentially 3 camps in my mind so I figured I'd share my thoughts and get the community vote and where to take it. Keeping in mind that we have a talking skeleton already, which may be too much for some people, so he will be grandfathered in regardless of the vote and perhaps removed if enough people think a talking skeleton is too far of a departure of reality for them.

This is a major decision so the more people that can vote on this the better. The question comes down to 'Do you want a Skyrim type world, do you want a Life is Feudal type world, or do you want something in between?'

2. Ryan

A vote from steam came in for Segregated #1 so adding it here

3. Syrsly

Syrsly New Member

I think you should also consider whether or not the fantasy creatures include humanoid characters, like elves and goblins. My vote would be to have them but not in the starting zone.

4. Athanaric

Athanaric New Member

I feel like full on fantasy would be great as long as there's a way to prevent the monsters from coming into your camp or getting too close to it.

Studpup likes this.
  5. Ryan

Feder on steam casts his vote for Segregated #1

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

I voted for segregated #2. The idea of hunting a giant wild boar or bear through the woods excites me too much to only have them in caves. It'll be a balancing act for sure.

The Anti-Feminist likes this.
  7. Ryan

Cool cool, so things like giant scorpions, 10 feet tall board and what not in the above ground and we have cyclops's and Minotaurs in the caves and dungeons?

8. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

I don't understand the appeal of giant scorpions... Maybe in caves with giant spiders, but above ground would just feel kinda strange to me... Ark being the exception. But everything else sounds awesome.

But it is your game, so I'll deal with them... :p

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Personally I'm not a huge fan of scorpions either I have to admit haha. I'm from Germany and Yore looks to me as if it was set in similar climate zones as central Europe and we don't have scorpions. Giant will be a better fit I feel like. But as you said - their game and it'll be just fine with or without scorpions.

10. Ryan

Giant scorpions are just a reference. They are the extreme example of what a giant creature is, ie: a 10-20cm insect from real life appearing as a 150-200cm creature in the game, so it makes for a good example in people's heads of what I mean by Giant beasts and how far detached from reality it would be..

Turbatus likes this.
  11. SEEP SEWAGE

SEEP SEWAGE New Member

I may be in the minority, but in fantasy I like the weirder ideas the best. IMO the creatures and lore (if you wanna call it that) of adventure time are the freshest fantasy take that resonates with me. The idea of a mixture of classic fantasy archetypes with twists on them and original creatures, both with a more surreal bent than just "big animal" or your standard intro to mythology creatures with a hint of Tolkein fare. Even if a creature is functionally an elf but has a big aesthetic difference(more insect like) or goblins that are more like a rodenty humanoid, with like a fleshy body and tufts of fur but still reads as a goblin. Beholders, elementals, and gibbering mouthers, some eldritch creature designs as well as they are already weird and could be iterated on in different ways pretty easily for freshness, imo

12. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Those sound interesting to say the least, but the more twisted creatures should be deep in delves imo... The surface being mostly realistic, but the deeper you go, the more fantasy you start to see... Then again, that's why my vote is segregated #2 :p

13. Ryan

I am also drawn to the classic D&D type characters as well, I can't wait to get the first beholder in, way down in a deep dungeon somewhere, and who knows, if it isn't contained or defeated enough perhaps it will get bored of it's cage and come above ground once and a while :)

14. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Ok. this I like... I just don't want to spawn in to holy * what is that? *dead* but after what you've done with the wolves I trust it'll be a good implementation regardless of which way you go.

15. R3volve

R3volve New Member

I was once asked directly by the Yore staff before I had played the game what I would like to see based on the fact that I am a huge skyrim nerd. I wasn't ready to answer because I had yet to actually play the game (I am a dummy and went with the Rift) but now that I have a feel for it I think I can reveal my feelings.

I voted full on fantasy. Do everything in your power to make the game as fun as possible. VR has the ability to transport us to another dimension. Why not have ghosts and centaurs and magic?

For something specific, I want to see actual melee combat. I want to block a thrown spear with my shield and jab a sword in my enemy's neck.
    I want to parry my foes attack on my blade while releasing a blast of heat from my left hand pushing them back and lighting them on fire.
    I want to zap my enemy with a bolt of lighting as they fail to roll for cover.

For the sneaky types I want to lift some dunken fools coin purse off his belt, or cut it with my knife. Not just look in their direction and press the steal stuff button.

eXplozion likes this.
  16. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

If they made the map larger, I'd be on board for full fantasy also, but right now it is kinda small with full speed sprint. The farther you go/longer you play, the more intense things get is a great way to keep me coming back (The wolves are a great example of what they can do) Ghost at night time would be pretty sweet, but how would we go about killing them in any believable way? We have 0 forms of magic right now, and killing a ghost with a sword is just silly imo (Unless a silver sword perhaps?)

As far as combat, I agree full heatedly! Though I think that would take a absolute monster of a computer to handle... Little burning "perfectly ordinary rabbits" running around would probably take its toll on performance... But I would absolutely love to sweat in combat like I do when I play thrill of the fight... (I've gone down 2 belt notches since playing that game 3 nights a week...) Though I'm sure I'm the minority there...

17. r0cca

r0cca New Member

For me it's a coinflip between segregated 1 and segregated 2, both suits me fine but chose option 2.

18. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I went for Segregated 1. I enjoy the idea of Yore VR giving us the opportunity to see life as a middle ages peasant, that said I don't want to completely discount the existence of fantasy creatures so long as they're hidden away for us to find. As a fan of Game of Thrones, I like the idea of these magical creatures being deemed as myths and legends to the other villagers, but we get to see them first hand in places that they wouldn't venture. I guess I wouldn't mind magic, but I prefer the idea of humans ruling the kingdoms as opposed to living alongside dwarves and elves (but they weren't actually mentioned in the poll so I'm glad we aren't dwelling into that kind of full fantasy).
    Just my personal preference, I'll be playing this game regardless!

19. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

This is a close race... But at least we are all in agreement there should be monsters and giant beast... Just gotta figure out where :p

You have fun with that, Devs.

Though we are also all in agreement we'll be playing regardless... That's... kind of rare in modern gaming communities... I've seen nothing toxic posted here yet. Impressive! :D

20. Studpup

Studpup Member

segregated 2, without any kind of threat walking out the door the game would be pretty boring, will just need a way to keep them out of the house and yard. without all that tower defense BS