[Idea] Decouple movement from the HMD

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hafgren, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hafgren

Hafgren New Member

YoreVR is one of the only games that make me feel nauseous with trackpad movement, I think it has to do with moving to where I'm looking and not towards where the controller's facing, And on top of that the movement speeds is really fast and doesn't feel like it's me walking.

2. Harry_T

Harry_T Community Manager Staff Member

Have you tried to slow the speed down in the menu options?

3. Hafgren

Hafgren New Member

The slowest speed still feels like I'm sprinting.

4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

hmm, interesting. If you switch to the alpha branch on steam you can see that we've reworked the movement menu so you can toggle face forward vs controller forward now. Would love to hear your thoughts. We've also switched to forward rendering, default to FXAA instead of TXAA now and have much better performance so hopefully all of these things will contribute to a better experience.

You could also teleport, or you could point and walk, that is put the teleport target far away and it will auto walk you there, that may or may not be better for you.. Either way I would love to hear your thoughts and if you think we should make the slowest speed even slower or not. Thanks!

5. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

I fully support the idea that the hmd should be decoupled from movement. Ie you should be able to walk in one direction but look in another. I played ark survival for over 300 hrs all in vr, and what was useful was when chopping a tree or gathering berries, i could at the same time look left and right and behind for enemy players etc while still farming. Also when running away from whatever, its handy to be able to look over your shoulder to see if the enemy is closing in or getting left behind. I think also for some people movement direction based on where your looking can make you feel a little sick, because its not how people actually behave. In vr we are trying to emulate real life to a certain extent, and situations that trick you into thinking your actually there make me feel less sick than those that are unreal. Super high acceleration is a typical example that makes you feel sick, because in real life we dont go from 0 - 900,000 mph in just a few seconds. And if we did it sure wouldnt be glass smooth. It creates a strong sense of unrealism when things like that happen, and i think its partly to blame for making people react badly.

6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Walking only in the direction you are moving is easier on the stomach for new players, that's why it's in there. But if you go into movement settings you can change it from hmd forward to controller forward.

With the hover mode on dpad movement you can fine tune how quickly you are moving, so you can accelerate up at whatever pace is good for you.

7. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

Ah thats great to know. In that case it sounds like players dont realise. I wasnt the first to mention decoupled HMD. Are you guys activley sending people to a wiki or something? Or are you planning on adding some sort of quick start guide or something to make people more aware?