[Thoughts] Darker caves and stealth

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DersonThePerson, Jun 25, 2017.

1. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

I love the caves and underworld your creating, but i have one criticism at the moment. It never gets so dark that i need my torch.
    I think i read somewhere, that you are planning to make darker areas, which i think really adds to atmosphere.
    I also think if darkness could introduce a stealth mechanic it would be really cool.

- If you like playing the rogue or assasin type, extinguishing your torch grants a higher bonus to sneaking up on npcs. Then a knife in the back for bigger damage!
    - Reduced agro boxes on enemies if you put out your torch. Meaning if your prepared to take a risk, you might be able to sneak past an enemy.
    - increased damage taken from traps that go off in the dark. "Didnt even see it coming!" Bonus
    - Sneaking up on other players. Now this is a big one that caused me problems in miscreated. Let me relate....

What i was enjoying was sneaking about in the dark looting stuff and hiding from the enemy. I accidentally bumped into two other players who started shouting that they were going to get me! So i legged it. Deciding to take advantage of my surroundings and the dark i hid inside a building and kept quiet. They came in and started looking about and my heart began to race... it was pretty intense because i could hear them but couldnt see them. Then to my horror one of them said "here he is" and one shot me in the head!

I was like what the hell? But what i hadnt considered was that they both had their brightness on their monitors way way up, and therefore could see me even when i couldnt see them. Which was kind of unfair and ruined what would have been a very cool dynamic. I dont play it much now.

This game maybe has a chance to capitalise on this, because its not like the hmd has a brightness control. I will make the same suggestion here as i did to them, which was make it dark AND foggy. So players can sneak about regardless of their picture controls.

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Yep, right now part of why it is a bit too bright is because their is an engine entity called a skylight that handles a lot of up under lighting to simulate bounced light. We just a new system that allows us to turn it off when you are in the caves. Sounds easy to do it but it's definitely not :)

This is genius, we will have to definitely talk this over internally and see what we can do about adding it in. The simplest thing right now would just be to make the torch give off a sound that only the AI can hear as this is how they detect players now that they can't see directly or are outside of their vision range. We'll look at tying it into the AI system as a whole down the road.

Great suggestions over all, added most of them to the todo list!

3. DersonThePerson

DersonThePerson Member

I dont think any of this is easy. Very easy to say it though... ha ha.. Thats why i build websites and you guys build the games, lol. I have utmost admiration for you guys, but any way I can help your always welcome. Ive been messing about with unity for a little while now. Thought i might have a tinker with ue4!