0.5.1 Alpha Update - Very early access to our new world

Discussion in 'Change Log / Patch notes' started by Ryan, May 19, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

So it's finally here! We have a new build up on the alpha branch on Steam. The main menu level is gone for now, meaning you don't start in that nice little house, you will start in the big open world. Here are some things to note/test:

What's working? (Just about everything now):
    • The hatchet/Pick Axe should be on the ground somewhere near where you spawn. Look for that
    • You can spawn a building menu now to place buildings.
      • Resources are gathered and put in the silhouette of the building then hit the build button
    • You should be able to walk from river to coast
    • There are cave entrances throughout the map, 3 of them will lead you into the dungeons
    • Hunting should be working, go and kill some deer
    • Should be able to gather iron ore, smelt it, and craft a sword
    • Basket is working, but can't remember if it's in the map somewhere
    What's not working?
    • Main menu for things like movement, graphics, etc etc is not in yet
    • The Cart is not in yet
    • NOT WORKING on Oculus Rift - no idea why right now but hopefully will be fixed over the weekend

2. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

Since I have an Oculus, I figured I'd throw out a couple quick notes as to how it seems to be functioning on my end. This may or may not be useful but:
    Touch controller input works and I can hear the game (thus how I can hear that the touch controller input is working), but everything is black though I can still see the Oculus boundary system (not, however, the SteamVR boundary system).

SteamVR doesn't open up. Tried opening it up first and then starting the game, didn't link to the game.
    Tried launching with -vr and SteamVR open, no change.
    Tried launching with -oculus and SteamVR open, it linked to SteamVR but still did the same thing as it has done the entire time, still no SteamVR boundary system.
    Tried -oculus with SteamVR closed to see if it would open, didn't open.
    Tried -oculus with SteamVR open a second time, failed to link and hasn't since, but it did the one time so it in some way does have the capability to link up but refuses to most of the time.

It may match up exactly with your experience, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anything on my end was functioning in any slight way differently that might reveal anything.

3. Ryan

Yep, that pretty much lines up for me exactly. Absolutely no idea why this is only happening in the Rift and only in one specific level. We had the main menu in before, the house that you used to start in and funny enough that works perfectly fine, right up until you walk out the door and it loads the new main outdoor level. So of course I figured it had to do with the unloading of the main menu and the loading of the outdoor level and as a work around I just removed the main menu and had the game start in this outdoor level. But no, now the game itself starts in the black, so there is something about this level that specifically doesn't play with the Rift and we're all puzzled by it. Anyways, we're going to be working on figuring this out and will hopefully have everything working for Oculus users here shortly.

Thanks fro the feedback though, very thorough in your testing and it's much appreciated!

4. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

Sounds about right for software development, haha. I look forward to sinking some ungodly number of hours into playing with the new version once y'all get that sorted. As eager as I've been for this update though I'm glad -Edit: Actually scratch what I typed initially, given this wasn't just about the recode but also structuring it for multiplayer at its core. Basically the measures that have been taken make sense and I'm glad they were taken.

Keep doing what you do, excited to see how it moves forward now that this significant step is just about out of the way.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. Ryan

Happy to report that the oculus bug is fixed and I was standing in the main world in our rift and touch controllers tonight. Going to be prepparing the lighting overnight and will have a build pushed out tomorrow

6. Kolsulfr

Kolsulfr New Member

Look forward to it! I'll be sure to do some bug hunting when I get the chance. I'm kind of curious now though what was causing just that map specifically to not connect to Oculus.

7. Ryan

Well it had to do with the way that default Rift behavior is to load a splash screen at certain times within Unreal 4. For some reason, the setup we have for our new main map, ie: World Composition enabled persistent maps with dynamically streaming sublevels, cause this behavior with the Rift. So when the level loads the rift thinks it needs to load a splash screen. Now because we never told the rift to do this we obviously didn't create a splash screen and so the Rift defaults to it's default Splash screen which is just a pure black square. So it overlays blackness and waits for us to tell it to clear it.. Obviously as we never told it to do this in the first place, we never put instructions in place in the first place to clear it. So the fix was easy, just slap the rift around and tell it to clear it's splash screen.

The joy of game dev.