0.4.0 Alpha Update - Recode complete

Discussion in 'Change Log / Patch notes' started by Ryan, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan Moderator Staff Member

Recode Complete, ready for testing

Remember you need to be subscribed to the Alpha branch to get Alpha updates.

So no sense writing a formal update log when all I need to say is that the entire game has essentially been re-coded from scratch. The way we did things before was quick and dirty, meant to prototype and iterate as quickly as possible to flesh out some of the core systems. You get to a point though where all of these systems, cobbled together like a shanty-town, start to buckle under the weight of the game and then it's time to take a holistic view, based on all of the gameplay lessons learned, and build it properly from the ground up with the bigger picture in mind. This is where we were back in December when we took on the task of re-writing every major system in the game to take into account all of the needs that we discovered along the way, be 100x more efficient and be ready for multiplayer(which we started working on at the beginning of the year).

Today is a big day as all of the recoding is finished and now it's just a matter of finding all of the bugs that exist in this system, fixing them and then going live with this update. The end result will be a much much more polished experienced with no cart issues, better working tongs, a bug free forging experience, etc etc. There are still a lot of improvements we are going to be making to all of the various systems to make things easier to use or more intuitive, however now we have a much more solid base to build on and can focus primarily on those improvements instead of having to spend 70% of our time fixing the bugs that cropped up as our old system creaked and groaned under the weight of the game.

So I just wanted to send out a big thank you for all of your patience. I know a lot of complaints and unfortunately negative reviews have been coming in regarding many of the issues that this recode fixed and rightly so. It was a very frustrating month and a half, not only for you the players dealing with this stuff, but also for me as so many of the issues mentioned were fixed weeks ago but because of the nature of this re-write we couldn't implement it bit by bit, it had to be all or nothing, meaning I had to wait until all of the systems were complete before rolling this update out and as modest as Yore is right now, that still meant a ton of systems. Either way, this alpha release is the first step and as soon as those dedicated testers among you find and report all of the small outstanding bugs(http://forums.playyore.com/index.php?threads/how-to-report-bugs.107/) and we go through and fix them up we'll push this to beta and then eventually up to the main branch for all to enjoy. ​

Jeremiah likes this.
  2. Turbatus

Turbatus Member

Here's hoping the negative reviews don't hurt us too much...

3. Ryan

They are what they are and typically convert to positive reviews once you can prove that you've listened to their criticisms and addressed them

4. Ryan

@Turbatus @Jeremiah @UserID10T - After some debugging this morning we realized that the save data might be calling in some outdated classes, so can you guys do me a favor and delete your save game data? Because this is a development build and not a shipping build(all alphas and betas will be 'dev builds') the save data will be found here: PathToSteam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\YoreVR\YoreVR\Saved\SaveGames

@Jeremiah - This is likely the reason why you are experiencing the cart issues. With the teleport you should immediately notice that the line is arc'd not straight anymore and that we no longer have full arms, but hands for the time being.

Thanks!

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

I had deleted the save via the ingame button before testing but I went into the folder and deleted the contents of PathToSteam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\YoreVR\YoreVR\Saved\SaveGames but do not notice a change in the hand model or the teleport beam/arc. Also the patch note scroll in the lobby room still says 0.3.7...Am I actually still on an old build?

6. Ryan

it definitely seems like it, I updated the patch notes last night so the latest alpha client should contain a scroll with 0.4.1 on it I believe. Wonders if this could be because of Steam and it's damned merging system

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Not sure what it is but I can try what I want and it doesn't change a thing :/

8. UserID10T

UserID10T New Member

About to hop in and test out some of 0.4.1, and I'll record some in-game video, so all bugs and issues can be visualized. Expect that sometime this week, maybe sooner than later.

9. Studpup

Studpup Member

Just recently tried to download the update for Yore on steam it says "content still encrypted" and it doesn't download. Not sure if this is an issue with steam or not.

10. Ryan

Now that's a new one, which branch were you trying to download from?

11. Studpup

Studpup Member

screenshot.png
    Not sure what you mean. I hit the play button in steam and it tries to download but immediately pops up the error window. I clicked on the site to see if I could fix it. The site just says to change my download region. So that didn't work. Might try to uninstall and download again

12. Studpup

Studpup Member

reinstall worked. No idea. I haven't taken my computer in for a flu shot yet this year.

13. Ryan

yea, the joys of steam sometimes.. we did a big overhaul on how we organize things on the backend last week to fix a bunch of issues. Glad this got resolved